Green Duckies Archives

An archive of my main blog. These are a few of my favorite posts.

Thursday, October 28, 2004

Music Makes The World Go Round

I love to sing. I like hanging out with my friends. With that in mind, there's no better place I like to be on a Sunday evening than at The Chalet in Saint Paul, kicking back, listening to Bryan (our jovial karaoke host) belt out a song that will always sound better than the original artists version. You should hear this man sing Flake or Bridge Over Trouble Water. Oh, hell, you should just hear him.

Oh, just for the record, the posts about Bobby should be taken with a grain of salt. He's a nice guy, he has wonderful, masculine hands but I never took any of this seriously. It was all for fun.

So, come on down to The Chalet on Sunday. We're usually there about 9:30-10 PM.

June, 2004
Come for Bryan, stay for the karaoke - My first post about karaoke.
It's always lalalalala, shopping with our friends - Romance, Dana style. Meaning non-existant. I held hands with Big Wayne, the world's tallest man.
My favorite song - Favorite song to sing at karaoke, perfect unrequieted love song.
Karaoke Vant, Part One and Part Two - Some rules for karaoke.
Random musings from a karaoke filled Sunday - Drunk table, drunk table sings Picture.

July, 2004
Beer Goggles, Part One - Otherwise known as the beginning of the Red Shirt Experience. First appearance of Cowboy Joe.
Beer Goggles, Part Two – Chris and Jordan, Randall Flagg becomes my fake boyfriend.
True Friendship - Random conversation at karaoke about my setting myself on fire.

August, 2004
Why I love the song Que Sera Sera - About a bartender I had a thing for.

September, 2004
An Open Invitation to the World - Please come to karaoke.
Let the Mighty Cry of Whoo Fill the Night! - My version of the Red Shirt Experiment.
Conversations before, at and after Karaoke - Man boobs and my campaign proclamation for when I run for president.
A loaf of bread, a jug of Diet Coke (with a lime slice) and thou - Oh, Bobby. Move me.
Song Title Dialouge - I and You - Beth and I were having fun at karaoke.

October, 2004
Random Karaoke Stuff – Cowboy Joe returns, I create the "Last Piece of Pizza" song.
The Seduction of Water - About Bobby. And water. Oh, my God, those hands.
My God, why am I awake? - Random stuff about preparing to go to karaoke.
I Have Cleavage! - More preparations for karaoke.
I Was Bad - Skipping out of work because of an excess of karaoke.

November, 2004
She Flew the Coupe - The first Halloween karaoke.
Hairy Topic - About my hair and Bobby's hair and Wah. Ter.
Movies and Karaoke - Can Life get any better? The night of the Northern Lights.
Life as we know it - Update about my weekend. Karaoke is mentioned fleetingly.
Things I say in my head - About this weird guy at karaoke who wanted to sign my notebook.

December, 2004
For Beth, because she needs something to read - Foreshadowing to the "How Did I End Up on a Date With Pete?" story.
The Seduction of Diet Coke - The hands again. And Diet Coke.
The Lengths I Go To For My Friends - About how the "How Did I End Up on a Date With Pete?" ended with my faking an asthma attack.

January, 2005
Oh baby, oh baby, oh - Partly to do with karaoke because of the girl who tried to feel me up.
Pierced Through the Heart With A Dagger Shaped Slice of Lime - The loss of the dream of the hands. Oh, the hands.
202-09 – A Karaoke Tale - 202-09 is the number for People Are Strange by the Doors. "Beth On Drugs," Being drooled on by a drunkard wanting me to sing 202-09, the almost bar fight over a hat.
Enter Breadman - Hearing problems in a most humorous way.
Validation - Liz (Bryan's girlfriend) sat at our table. We are so cool. Also the list on what makes us Bryan's stalkers.

February, 2005
Promise Me Something - Never let me talk to men. I will embarrass myself. Case in point - "I dream about the gun."

March, 2005
It's Quite Possible I Am a Teenage Boy - Hearing problems in a most sexual way.

April, 2005
Karaoke Gone Wild - Among everything else of craziness, this was the night that Char and Tom's tires got stolen.
Pretend Karaoke - While Beth and I were in Portugal, we missed a night of karaoke. This is how we got by.

May, 2005
She's going to kill us - About Johnny mostly but also, got my first kiss in forever. Yay, Andrew!
Proof that Johnny is always right - Johnny said I was delightfully and refreshingly mad. This is one of the reasons why. Part of it is about karaoke - Beth and I were giggly and I had buffalo wings to help clear out my sinuses. It's a whole bunch of random stuff that's not really all that important.
What A Man Really Wants - It's about Gil (Guy I like) so it is about karaoke in a way.
My Weekend O'Excitement - The Chalet sign is green (well, it was a shock to us), interpretive dance by drunkards, listening to Picture twice!, trying the what a man really wants out on Dean, why we're not introducing Bryan to our future husbands until after the wedding (which might be difficult because I want him to perform the ceremony).
At Last - The tale of Quagna, my South African boyfriend, and our tale of true love. Excuse me while I laugh hysterically.

June, 2005
Just call me Mata Hari - A night a karaoke when I was adored by men. It was kinda nice.

July, 2005
Tick me off - Mainly about a post I lost but also how I revealed Gil's secret identity to Liz. Because I had been drinking and obviously became insane.
Wicked Game - My weekend but about karaoke as well. And Gil. Sigh. And iTunes doesn't lie because it pointed out that he is my superhero.
Pavlov's Bell - We can't talk about it. It being I am crazy about Gil. Sigh again.
Thoughts from Karaoke - Waiting for Beth. Bryan has a goat on his shirt, I gave Liz two birthday cards, the anorexic woman that I thought might try to eat Bryan.

August, 2005
Can't Take My Eyes off of You - About karaoke and how Beth revealed Gil's real name to Angie and Amy and she and Angie passed notes and I almost had a heart attack.
Alcohol - Yeah, I got a bit drunk at karaoke, mainly a story about past drunken episodes.
Those Things Are Hers - Random thoughts, some from karaoke.
Sister Golden Hair - Saying goodbye to Char. Sob. Beth painted my arm with ice cream.
Touch-A, Touch-A, Touch Me - Trying to break the touch barrier with Gil, observing the mating dance between a patron, Jack (short for Jackass), and women.
An email of Despair - An email to Rachel about karaoke, about the shooting that took place across the street at Lake McCarren and there was no Gil and I was sad. Oh, and no one died.
Sledgehammer - I broke the touch barrier! And told him that he made beer smell good.

September, 2005
So. What are you doing this weekend? - An email invitation to karaoke. And about the Chalet having another police investigation. Sheesh.
I am not stalling - I had delayed writing about karaoke. Char came to karaoke from Texas (It was a su-preeze!), Beth's new name is Buffy, The first night that Jim (he of the high pitched Ah's) showed up at the Chalet, Obviously Drunken Man fell asleep, Drunken James (celebrating his birthday) who removed his pants and also tried to play a flute, I mentioned, in Man Pretty Ryan's hearing, that his black eye made him hot, Barry proves he is a serial killer by disappearing, got a ride from the decent cab driver, I felt Andrew's hair, I gave James' his birthday card.
Amazing - My new nickname is created (Hurricane Dana), Guru announces to the world that he is not gay and offers to prove it, I blather about Gil.
The Life and Times of Dana Marie - The first appearance of Bad Brad, cab driving psycho, Bryan's cab story, the first ever New Sex Song Sunday.

October, 2005
Big Red Boat - Beth got hit on by a suprising person so Bryan became Uncle Bryan, I checked out Gil and was caught, etc, New Sex Song Sunday returns.
Open Mouth. Insert Foot - Yeah, I actually used the "L" word when Gil walked by me. Oops.
Bring Me Some Water - A female was touching Gil. Not that I was jealous. No. Never. Also includes Spam Ballet, plastic sword fighting with Beth, actually dancing in public, Beth on sugar (close to Beth on drugs but not quite).
Weekend Update - Includes karaoke, getting hooked on Lost, going commando.
About Beth's birthday and karaoke and other stuff - Barry was there, celebrating Beth's birthday
More stuff about karaoke - Beth wants me to sing a song about chicken (first time), Bryan being a talking mime, Shawn sang Beth, playing the Match Game of Karaoke (you choose three people to suggest a song and you have to sing one of them).
Halloween Karaoke 2005 - Let's put it this way. I was the only person who dressed up. The red light from Hell, pictures of Nate and Becky (foreshadowing), Suicide Karaoke (Bryan chose the songs for us).

November, 2005
Why I need Effexor - How my pet rock ran away, Scary anorexic woman returns.
Why I am never drinking again - Hey. I think I said this before, I insult Guru, announcing my piercings to the table. Also includes my man check list. Pictures - Mainly about Josh but there is a picture from karaoke at the very end.
Things I need to do - Why can I not resist Beth? Is she the Borg?
You might be a karaoke junkie if - A check list about reasons why we are karaoke junkies. Also a link to Beth's post about the (possible) hookers.
The avidly awaited bi-weekly karaoke post - A birthday party celebration that we sort of became a part of, I wished I was a door (Man Pretty Ryan. That explains all), meeting Matt for the first time.
Karaoke & more karaoke & even more karaoke - New Kids on the Block Sunday (oh the horror!) and the annual Night Before Thanksgiving Karaoke.
I can't take the pressure anymore! - The long awaited Thanksgiving karaoke post - creepy beret guy that isn't Craig, meeting Mrs. Joe Funko, Beth had Angie sing "I Can't Fight This Feeling." Also a lot of stuff about Gil.

December, 2005
Karaoke Escapades - Becky and Nate broke up, there was possible flirting with Gil
For Your Love - Karaoke was KRAAAZZZZZIIIIEEEE - Pete touched me (ew), there was a busload of whores, I almost got into a fight with a girl who played air guitar, my list as to why I am not a karaoke prima donna
Carve Your Name - An update about how karaoke was so crazy. The titles for these two posts are titles of The Nadas songs.
Stuff - Brief bit about karaoke, mainly about how I told Ryan he was man pretty and went through James and Matt's wallets.
Crazy Little Thing Called Karaoke - Introduction to Hot Craig, Drunk woman with flashy shirt who wanted Bryan to sing Hark the Herald Angels Sing, we receive an invitation to Matt's birthday party
Hey. Doesn't that guy look like a peanut? - There was this guy. And he looked like a peanut. And also possible lap dancers.
I don't even know where to begin - Crazy Tall Guy and how he glommed onto our table and how we went into this whole Improv thing that involved Aaron crying into my chest and Dean yelling at the guy for assuming he celebrated Kwaanza

January, 2006
For your reading pleasure - An essay entitled Why I am never returning to the Chalet - I just reread this post and honestly, I have no clue. Apparently Bobby said he knew why I liked to play with the gun (?).
Let's Play Catch Up - I was accused to singing directly to Gil and also the tale of Matt's birthday party
Remember when I said I was never going to drink again? - Drunken posting about how I got drunk. I told Gil (real name is James) that I liked him. I compared him to Batman. Adam West Batman. Oh, dear God in Heaven.
Alcohol is bad but I'm kind of grateful for it - Sober posting about how I got drunk. More detail.
I have nothing to report and also a meme - Dealing with seeing James after confessing my total like to him
The excitement of my week - a list of things that happened at karaoke, nothing overly exciting (despite the title).

February, 2006
Things I have learned while doing laundry and Beer is Bad - Another rehashing about what happened the night I got drunk and also I was Matt's confidante. Matt really likes Beth.
Memories of Karaoke Past - Going to the wheel, Andrew and Becky started dating (didn't last long. Dang it), other stuff
Karaoke junkies of the world, unite! - The creation of the official karaoke power salute while watching American Idol

March, 2006
Week 3 - Mainly about Weight Watchers but also about my pictures taken at karaoke to help document my weight loss
Happy Birthday to Me! - About my birthday celebration and seeing Amy's concert
Happy Birthday to Me - Part Two - Singing opera like with Craig, Beth and Angie and a teaser about the hug and card from James (sigh)
Seriously. I think Shakespeare was right about this one - My birthday celebration written as if it was an episode from Herman's Head
Open Mouth. Insert Heart - More about James (sigh) and how I can't talk to him because I turn into a big goofy idiot
Why? For the love of God, why? - More about what a big goofy idiot I am when I talk to James

April, 2006
Yeah, I pay attention - A day in the life post (the first one) that has some karaoke in it (conversations with Beth and Liz, drunken woman who sings loudly)
So. Do you want to know what happened at karaoke last night? - He hugged me. That's pretty much the whole post.
Priceless - Mock Mastercard commerical for karaoke, NASCAR limo freaks
Priceless continued - About the hug, 2nd appearance of Bad Brad, the cab driving freak
It's Over and Other News - A little bit about karaoke, nothing much.

May, 2006
Yikes - Donny finds Jesus. At the Taco Bell down the street.
Random Fan Letters - A fan letter to Jonny Lang which is mainly about how great karaoke is and how much I like James. It was written as a joke. I am not completely insane. Oh shut up.
What should I write about, Beth? - A fan letter to chicken, I almost choked to death on a pepper flake, I found romance (HA!) with a Creepy Crazy Guy (CCG) that was singing to me and Matt had to pretend to be my fake boyfriend. Watching James in a debate about comic books (why is that a turn-on? Why?) and he hugged me. Yay!

June, 2006
What happened at karaoke and a meme - I asked James out. Sort of. To a movie. That doesn't come out until February of 2007. But, hey, he said yes! And some girl Theresa was there and I don't like her because she gets all dramatic when she sings and she is snobby and irritating. I admit that I use a subtle ploy to touch James (said subtle ploy being to read whatever is on his shirt).
A Day in the Life 3 - Beth made a new friend (read odd woman whose boyfriend tried to strangle her and we kind of understand why), the disco balls dies because of a total freak who was stripping to Ghostbusters.
Yet another freak finds us - Some guy named Robert who was odd, a bigot and asked if I was a lesbian because I sang a song with the word girl in it. Yeah. Everyone knows that's how you can tell if someone is gay. Sheesh.

July, 2006
Trailer Park Queen? - Grizzly Adams expresses his enthusiasm for my singing and compares me to the lead singer for Trailer Park Queen.
Questions for you - Beth coins the phrase Tom Cruise Crazy by witnessing the actions of a very drunk man, Liz goes on a rampage about Kathy Griffin and Carrot Top.
Just Call Me Mata Hari, Part 2 - The return of Bad Brad (3 times the charm is not true where he's concerned), I am not a swinger!, my beauty has enticed another.

August, 2006
Fashion Nightmare Sunday - Beret wearing Craig showed up in a suit and suspenders, some guy wearing pink shorts, another guy dressed like he wandered off the set of Grease and a cowboy. Put them all together and you have an evening of laughter.
Rumble at the Chalet - Beth on drugs again (this time it was cold medicine), an almost bar fight about karaoke between the White Shirt gang and some innocent bystanders.
State Fair Sunday - Conversations at the Chalet on a slow night.


Non-Karaoke Stuff but still about Music

Defense of a song - I like the song It's Not Easy (Superman) by Five for Fighting. Beth and Matt don't.
Hearing Problems - Not many songs have the words "Until you're back with bacon." But they should.
Midnight at the Oasis, the vant - AKA the song by that woman on crack.
Melissa Etheridge concert - SE.
Giant - About a Melissa Etheridge song.
Things that fill me with joy - SE.
Starry, Starry Night - About a guy I used to go see sing when in high school and Rock Star: INXS
Gimme Some Lovin' - More about Rock Star: INXS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home